Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Adapting one of my Favorite Bread Recipes EVER

I frequently make FarmGirlFare's Farmhouse White Bread. It's absolutely delicious, freezes beautifully, and works well as free form loaves and in loaf pans. You can find the recipe here. BTW - A Year in Bread is great site with amazing recipes. As far as I can tell, they haven't posted in a while, but there are a ton of good recipes there.


If you decide to check out the recipe, the 1st couple times I did make the whole recipe by hand like FarmGirl does, but now I make it using my KitchenAid, and end the kneading each time with about a minute of hand kneading. I've also found that being in CO, I frequently need less flour to make a beautifully soft dough. About a cup less in fact.




This time, I decided that I wanted to make rolls out of the last 3rd of the dough. As you can see above, those are some massive rolls. Next time, I'll divide that 3rd into 12 rolls!


About 15 minutes before the end of the 2nd rise, I got inspired and nuked about 3 tbls of butter in a little prep bowl. I slathered the tops of the rolls with about half of the butter using a pastry brush and let them finish their rise. Then I slathered them with the rest of the butter just before baking. 


Totally a spur of the moment, and they turned out beautifully! Such a rich buttery flavor and absolutely delicious. Try it if you have a chance!



End Note: You've probably noticed that I sprinkled my loaves and rolls with sesame seeds and a seed mix before baking. While I love the idea, I cannot figure out how to get them to STAY on the loaves after baking. I'm a self-taught baker, so I'm sure I'm missing something basic. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment