Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Lazy Pork Chop Dinner

I'm not super motivated to cook tonight, so I'm going with the easy option. I'd give you measurements but this meal is really just about what I happened to have on hand - both what and how much. And all the spices are just to taste. Wing it folks!


I've cut onions, shallots, zucchini, kale, carrots, new potatoes into pretty big chunks/pieces, then tossed them in a mix of olive oil, sliced garlic, hot pepper, fresh rosemary and S&P.


I put the veg mix into a 9x9 baking dish and then rubbed an olive oil, rosemary, S&P paste onto both sides of a pork chop.


The oven is preheating to 350ish (I do have an oven thermometer cuz the dial isn't very precise, but I can't be bothered to look right now) and the pork chop is coming up to room temp.


In about 20 minutes, I'll put the veggies into the oven while searing both sides of the chop in a skillet. Once the chop is browned, I'll put it on top of veggies and slide the whole thing back into the oven til it's done.


I have NO idea how long that will take or if everything will be done at the same time. If the chop is finished before the veg, I'll take it out and let it rest, covered, on a plate til the veggies are done.


You may ask why I don't just put everything in the skillet after browning the meat and put the skillet in the oven? Well, until skillet handles turn colors when they're screaming hot, I'm not at all confident that I won't grab the handle right after taking it out of the oven. Like I did just a few weeks ago. Ouch.


.......................................................................................


Later... Here's the pic. Gotta tell you.. this was yummy! Oh and the chop and the veggies weren't even remotely close to being done at the same time. Worked out fine though. I just let the chop rest til the veggies were ready and then put the chop back in the oven with the veg until it was all heated through again - about 8 minutes? Worked like a charm. I think next time I'll put the veggies in the oven on their own for about 15 minutes before I start browning the chop.


Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

1 comment:

  1. A little extra side bonus? The kale was super crispy. Like chips. Mmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete